Journey Community Church  

Friday, October 31, 2008

The Jesus Prayer



(written by Chance Williamson)

In 2004 I didn't understand prayer anymore. In fact, my whole spiritual life was being uprooted and reconfigured. To make a long story short however, I'll keep this story to prayer. Like everything, I could no longer continue doing things as I had always done them. In the Christian tradition I came from prayer was something you did in two ways. The first was alone in seclusion, however there was no room for contemplation. It seemed as if the more words you said made you more holy. Almost like you had to complete a 4,000-word prayer so you could get an A plus in God's grade book. The second way to pray was in community. At first it would seem normal. One person would stand up and begin to pray. Normal. But then, a cacophony of voices would join in with their own personal prayers. A jumble, a mess with no thought or direction. Sure, a topic would be stated but like a good hiking trail, we would always veer off and each would trudge our own path. The more you said, the louder you said it, the more holy you were. That's the way it was.

After Bible College I stumbled upon a simple prayer, the Jesus Prayer. "Lord Jesus son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." It is a mantra. It follows your pattern of breath. When you inhale you recite in your mind, "Lord Jesus son of God." When you exhale you say, "Have mercy on me a sinner."

"Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner." This is the prayer I pray; the Prayer of the Saints of old, those beautiful and ragtag few who have gone before me, all praying, screaming the same mantra, joining with me in a chorus of praise and need. In one breath, I call on my savior, my Lover, hailing him as King and Lord of my life. As I exhale I am reminded, as it is always ever present on my mind, of how much I need Him.

Oh, what a wretched man I am! Paul coined that phrase but it seems that I have bought the rights. I sit, praying, hoping, knowing that God sees through my cloud of guilt and shame, but I still want to beat my chest. As the tears flow His grace once again washes over me. Oh what a beautiful sweet grace.

Why can't we understand this grace we speak of so much? We are a church of imperfect people pretending perfection. This lie of perfection, this facade, is waning. It is the junkyard dog nipping at our heals. I pray the dog does catch us. When it does, it will rip and tear, true, but what it rips and tears will only be that which needs to be stripped off anyway, our self righteousness. My self-righteousness is killing me.

Until we as the church realize our own imperfection can we operate as only Jesus foresaw. A Church of prostitutes, derelicts, tax collectors, homeless, diseased, terrorists, homosexuals, liars, and thieves all saved by the Grace of God that I am wrestling with right now. What irony this is. We spend our time trying to be good enough and Jesus is simply saying, "Stop trying, you're just spinning your wheels. Let me lead you. We are wild, crazy, and messed up, but I wouldn't have it any other way!"

In this I find my comfort. So let me simply end where I began. "Lord Jesus, Son of God, Have mercy on me a sinner."

5 Comments:

Blogger C. Perry said...

Great words by Chance, but it does bother me that homosexuals would be listed in the grouping of people who break the law and/or harm fellow humans. Regardless about whether someone thinks homosexuality is wrong or not, scientific studies have all but proven it's not a choice. So, it would be like saying in that sentence "people with blue eyes, liars, etc." To me, it doesn't add up.
Sorry to focus on that one snippet--your words and thoughts are beautiful, Chance. Thanks for sharing!

6:54 AM  
Blogger C. Perry said...

Well, forgive me, "diseased" is on that list, too . . . and I'm sure no one thinks that's a sin. I guess I'm just hyper-sensitive right now.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Chancey said...

no worries. pretty much i just lumped everything that the church tradition that i grew up in shunned in one big group. I can see your critique and will be more careful next time =)
Chance

1:54 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Chance, you left out "bartenders" from that list.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Hi. I'm Ben Lyda. I participated in Journey back in the Gornto days. Journey helped me on my journey that ultimately lead me to the ancient Eastern Orthodox Church, the birth-place of the Jesus Prayer. Like you I have found that ancient wisdom, such as the Jesus Prayer, has helped me answer many of my questions that Journey helped me articulate. If you are interested in knowing more about the the Orthodox Church, where the Jesus Prayer is practiced daily around the world, I invite you to visit my church website. http://www.stmaximus.org/
Thanks again for highlighting The Jesus Prayer in your blog.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home